Friday, December 11, 2009

Cerita

When i was younger i used to care about almost everything, from the climatical changes of the world to the geographical features of Hawaii. World news moved me like telenovelas would to housewives and makciks, I cared about almost everything, but nothing interests me more than history. I cannot for the life of me understand the general dislike for what have happened in the past. They say don't dwell on the past, or the past is the past and look to the future but to me the study of the past is the only way to move forward. The Augurs of ancient Rome, look upon the flight pattern of the pigeons released from their cages, that's studying the past to foretell the future for you. Yes sir, despite the many misgivings for dwelling on the past, the past and the future is irrevocably intertwined with each other, like a siamese twin. And so the lack of appreciation with the past saddens me, Man by its very nature are forgetful and are in constant need of reminding and our ancestors knew this and you might say knowing this they make up oral traditions which when came the time for their sons and daughters replace them as the new torchbearers of civilization, they saw stories inadequate to hold all the collective memories of things past hence the idea of writing and later on books. Stories, set on paper. And you people call it boring.

The true meaning of history only came to me when i for the first time ever opened the Form 1 history textbook. I could not remember the exact page nor how the paragraph went but it did define history through the etymological study of the various words that denotes for most, the true meaning of boredom. I was at that time mystified with the English term which corresponds with the meaning of sejarah. It seemed all too simple of a word, so common to me that i never thought of why it is called the way it is. His-Story. As simple as that. A long dead dude's outlook of things long past. A record of the achievements and failings of fellow Man.
Excuse my over-enthusiasm, but for me the narration of things past comes alive in my head, the events, all the people, they come alive. In my head. Perhaps it is due to an over-active imagination but when i read the history books its not mere empty words that my eyes are seeing, its a whole lost world recreated with the voice of the long dead dude narrating it. It could be the reason why i enjoy history when all others see it to be nothing more than potent sleeping pill.

Why the rambling about history all of the sudden?

Because i Muhammad Amir Bin Sharipuddin have made history today with my academic result and not surprisingly it is not one of triumph, though i could really use some right about now. But take it the other way, it is a record breaker of a sort, and a heart breaker too. But nonetheless, things being as they are i am more convinced that my dear old Mak is again right to the letter, life is like a tire, and right now its on a downward roll with all these string of bad lucks,negativity and near misses this past few months. However, the silver lining in this cumulus nimbus cloud of mine is that what goes down will come up again, eventually (its a tire thing) provided there's someone to push it (that'll be me). Today's crushing disappointment will go down in my personal,unwritten(save for this), unpublished history and dwell upon it i will as with all histories until it drowns me in the deepest depth of self-deprecation and self-loathing until it finally scalds and burn me up inside to try and erase this mark of shame upon my face for history it is indeed but it sure as hell is not the end of my story.

No comments: